Visitor Visas for Canada
What you need to visit Canada as a tourist
To visit Canada, you will need to meet some basic requirements, such as:
- have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
- be in good health,
- have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
- convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
- convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
- have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.)
You may also need a:
- medical exam and
- letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.
In addition to the basic requirements, most visitors need a valid entry document.
When travelling to Canada, you always need to carry proper travel documents and identification for yourself and any children travelling with you.
Transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure you have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or unable to board the plane.