Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
The Prince Edward Island (PEI) Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) expedites immigration to Canada for individuals and their families who can increase the province’s business and economic development, supply of skilled workers and population.
There are four categories under which the applicant can apply:
Immigrant Partner Category
The applicant proposes to make a C$200,000 investment in an existing PEI company and to take an active role as a director or senior manager.
[NOTE: Currently PEI PNP is not accepting Immigrant Partner applications nor is it accepting Prince Edward Island Business applications for Investment by Immigrant Partner applicants.]
- Have a minimum net worth of C$400,000
- Use an Investment Intermediary approved by the PNP
- Invest C$200,000 in preferred shares of a PEI company
- Become a director or senior manager in the company
- Make a Good Faith Deposit of C$25,000 (returned after one year’s residency in PEI)
- Ideal age of 21 to 49, no older than 55
- Minimum 12 years of education (high school)
- At least five (5) years of management or business ownership experience in a sector relevant to the PEI economy
- Capable of being interviewed in English or French. If not, the applicant must make a Language Deposit of C$20,000, returned after one year’s residency and a moderate level of proficiency achieved
Application Fee: C$2,500. If the file is declined prior to interview stage, C$2,000 will be returned. Once an “invitation to an interview” letter is issued, the C$2,500 processing fee is non-refundable.
Immigrant Entrepreneur Category
For those planning to open a business in PEI. PEI does not offer a large island market, such as retail outlets, unless attracting a new market to PEI, or reaching out to North American or global markets through the internet or direct sales.
- A minimum net worth of C$400,000.
- Invest a minimum of C$200,000 to establish a new enterprise (or to purchase no less than 33% of an existing business).
- A business plan or ”Business Capacity.”
- A C$100,000 business investment deposit, returned after one year’s residency and the establishment of the business.
- A C$25,000 “good faith” deposit, returned after one year’s residency.
- A C$20,000 language deposit for those insufficient in English or French. This language deposit is returned when the applicant demonstrates moderate language skills, in English or French, after arriving in PEI.
- Less than 55 years of age.
- A minimum 14 years of education, including one (or more) post-secondary certificates or degrees.
- Being interviewed in English or French.
- Several years of management (preferably business ownership) experience in a sector relevant to the PEI economy.
- PEI will accept applicants who are not yet able to speak English or French, but if the applicant lacks skills in one of these languages must be offset by strengths in education or transferrable management skills. Similarly, exceptional transferrable management skills may offset a lack of post-secondary education.
Application Fee: C$2500
Immigrant Connections Category
Canadian citizens and permanent residents in PEI can nominate a “Connection,” people who can earn a living on PEI and will make a long-term, meaningful commitment to the “champion’s” life and the broader community.
This is an honour-based program. Champions, people who nominate Connections, are not required to sign a formal agreement or provide a financial guarantee. Champions simply commit to make the arrangement work to the best of their ability.
Eligible Family Connections to nominate or sponsor
- Daughter or Son
- Brother or Sister
- Niece or Nephew
- Aunt or Uncle
- First cousin or
- Step relative or in-law of the same level
Criteria for Champions
- Be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident who has lived in PEI for more than two (2) years.
- Have a regular source of income sufficient for their needs and dependents.
- Have a generally unblemished personal history.
- Testimonials from other PEI or evidence of volunteer work or community service are beneficial, but not essential.
Criteria for Nominees
- Must prove they are among the eligible family members and prove the relationship to the Champion.
- Have an offer of employment or a clearly identified capacity to work in PEI.
- Intend to live on PEI.
- Good health.
- Nominee and dependents have no criminal record.
Application Fee: C$250
Skilled Worker Category
An applicant with specialized skills and experience who fills a labour market need. Whether the applicant is a professional or skilled worker, the applicant must find employment on their own. Only then can the applicant apply, and their company will start the process of acquiring a Work Permit. The application fee is C$250.
- score around 50 on the Self Assessment form
- education and training consistent with the position offered
- job offer from an employer
- job must be in field of study and/or experience, and the employer must prove they cannot fill the position domestically
- sufficient English or French for the job